Admissions, Registration and Records

Tuition Classification

Students pay in-state or out-of-state tuition based on their residency status in Colorado.   Students must live in Colorado for 12 months before the first day of class and have taken steps to make Colorado their permanent home (such as getting a driver’s license, filing Colorado state taxes, etc.). Students under 23 years old are eligible for in-state tuition if a parent meets residency requirements.  In addition, students who have lived in Colorado for at least one year, qualifies for in-state tuition, and lives in the Aims tax district may qualify for the in-district tuition discount.

Initial Classification

Initial tuition classification is made at the point of admission based upon information the student supplies in the Application for Admission. Failure to answer all questions on the Application or failure to supply any requested documentation can result in the student being classified as “pending” tuition classification and the student will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate.

Changes in Tuition Classification

If your tuition classification is “pending”, you can fill out an Admissions Application Addendum and return it to the Admissions, Registration, & Records Office on any campus for reclassification by the first day of the semester in which you intend to enroll.  You will remain responsible for paying your student account based on the out-of-state rate until your Colorado residency is determined.  Tuition classification cannot be changed after the drop deadline for the semester in which the change needs to be made.

In-State to In-District

Individuals whose tuition was initially classified as in-state, but feel they now meet the requirements for in-district tuition should submit an Information Change Form with proof of your new address. This proof should be in the form of a lease or deed and must be turned in by the drop deadline for the semester in which the change needs to be made.

Out-of-State to In-State

Individuals whose tuition was initially classified as out-of-state, but feel they now meet the requirements for in-state tuition should submit a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification to the Admissions, Registration, and Records Office.

The burden of proof rests upon the petitioner who has the responsibility to submit a petition with the required documentation in a timely manner. Only photocopies of requested documents should be submitted with the petition because all information submitted becomes part of the person’s permanent record and cannot be returned to the petitioner. Students are responsible for submitting the petition by the drop deadline for the semester with the required documentation. Petitions submitted after the deadline will be reviewed the following semester. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with the Tuition Classification Officer before beginning this process.

Students remain a non-resident until they have received notification from the Tuition Classification Officer indicating a residency change has been approved. Students who are petitioning for in-state tuition classification remain responsible for paying their student account based upon their current tuition classification.

To make an appointment with the Tuition Classification Officer or to learn more about the tuition classification process, please contact:
Jean Moran
Admissions, Registration, & Records
College Center, Room 181
Aims Community College
(970) 339-6535

Colorado tuition classification for the state of Colorado is governed by State Law (Title 23, Article 7, of the Colorado Revised Statutes of 1973, as amended) and by judicial decisions that apply to all public institutions of higher education in Colorado and is subject to change at any time. The tuition classification decision made at one Colorado institution is non-transferable to other Colorado institutions. Aims Community College must apply the rules set forth in the tuition classification statutes and is not free to make exceptions to the rules except as specifically permitted by State Law.